Monday, December 19, 2011

Week Seven - Eek! It's Christmas week.


 Eek! It’s Christmas Week. (And I’m feeling fat already.)

Where are we in the fight to keep from gaining weight over the holidays? For me, the good news is I’ve only gained ½ a pound so far. And everyone knows that is only a daily fluctuation, right?
            As Christmas day approaches, my battle becomes more difficult. Trying to follow my own tips, I’m fighting to eat less on the days there are no parties, company, or dinners out. And during those eating events, I’m savoring the things I really love without (almost without) overindulging.  I’ve managed to pass up the things I can live without and eating desserts when I’m already stuffed. Doesn’t seem like much, you say?
            Then you most likely have never had a serious weight problem and shouldn’t be reading this blog! But seriously, it is the small changes that make a big difference.
            I’m having company this week for Christmas. Guess I’d better review my tips for serving guests. Or better yet, I’ll revisit them all. In this case, repetition is my friend.

1.     If possible, put prepared treats far out of sight and reach.
2.     Don’t give up the things you love. Give yourself permission to indulge, but only on the things you enjoy the most. Pass up foods you can live without.
3.     As host or hostess, serve things that are not your favorites.
4.     When entertaining, have holiday containers and wrap on hand. Send leftover temptations home with your guests.
5.     At a party, fill yourself one plate of the things you enjoy the most and savor every bite. Don't stand at the buffet and nibble.
6.     Pass up the public goodie trays by imagining the unsanitary conditions surrounding them. Use your imagination.
7.     Always have a mental plan before a food event. Then stick to it. This battle is all about awareness.
8.     Remember it’s okay to have your favorite things. If you overdo them and have a bad day or two, forgive yourself and follow up with two good days.Eat lean on days having no food events.
9.     A pound or two is easy to get rid of. Ten pounds means endless months of cabin fever while on a diet. Who wants that?
10. Have a happy, healthy and wonderful Christmas!

Please feel free to comment and leave any additional tips that work for you!

2 comments:

  1. Great advice, Marla. Thanks. I'm currently working on losing two pounds. I want to be down before the fun even begins.
    Happy Holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Madeline, for your comment. You are wise to work on your weight when there are only two pounds to worry about!
    Merry Christmas,
    Marla

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!