Saturday, December 16, 2017

The week before Christmas

 - Sugar’s Slippery Slope





     Last week on my annual three-day gambling and shopping getaway with girlfriends, a friend gave me a jar of goodies that she’d baked. They were delicious. Don’t ask me how much I consumed on my drive back home; I’m afraid I lost count!
     Why is it, after being given a wonderful treat like home baked cookies, I eat them like they’re the last ones I’ll ever enjoy? If any of you readers have a good suggestion on how to put the brakes on grazing, please share it!
   Last week I was on the edge, and now I’m at the bottom of the goodie barrel, fluffy as a marshmallow snowman. It is not a pleasant feeling. I’ve slid down the slippery slope for three days; now it’s time to follow my own advice and return to sensible eating until the next food “event”. With only nine days to go before the big day, there are many more temptations ahead.
     I’m pondering why it’s so impossibly difficult to get back on track after three days of free-reign eating. The mouth wants what the mouth wants, hard to control as a cat! I must accept the inevitable truth—in order to keep from gaining pounds this season, I have to eat less than normal on days when there are no parties or other eating occasions luring me to overindulge.
And meanwhile, thank goodness for stretch jeans!

Tips for Christmas week.
1.  Don’t let a few out-of-control days lead to a week of binging. Accept it, forgive yourself, and eat lean whenever possible.
2.     Put gift treats out of sight. (Or in the trunk!) Allow yourself one or two each day as a reward for your resolve.
3.   Think before you drink! Most alcoholic beverages have 90 calories or many more. Substitute coffee, tea or water for them and save your calories for the things you can’t live without.
4.   Plan ahead. At the beginning of every day, take a few moments to consider your schedule. On party days, cut back on your fat and carb intake during the day so you can afford to splurge at the party.
5.    Remember it’s cold and flu season. Be sure to get enough protein, fiber, fruits and vegetables to stay healthy and ward off all the bugs that are going around.

Dear Readers,
Hope these tips help keep you on track (or close!) during the party season. Have a wonderful, happy and healthy Christmas.
Marla



2 comments:

  1. These posts are great. I hope you don't mind. I know
    BOOK DAILY lets readers share in FACEBOOK and TWITTER
    I share in both places. I also shared that BD article on
    my blogspot. (http://www.paguthrie.blogspot.com) If you
    want me to take it down don't hesitate to ask. I hope not
    though. It will be great for my readers. (patguth@aol.com)
    There doesn't appear to be anyplace on this blog site for
    overall comments, so I'll have to leave this here. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You left your comment in the right place! Thanks for getting in touch. No worries with sharing, appreciate the interest in my blog.
      Take good care,
      Marla Madison

      Delete

Please share your thoughts!